Jake Peacock is an amazing story in the fight game.
The Calgarian is a one-armed Muay Thai fighter who’s set to defend his WBC Canadian welterweight title and, at the same time, dazzle fans this weekend in the city.
Your Midday Sun
From our newsroom to your inbox at noon, the latest headlines, stories, opinion and photos from the Toronto Sun.
By clicking on the sign up button you consent to receive the above newsletter from Postmedia Network Inc. You may unsubscribe any time by clicking on the unsubscribe link at the bottom of our emails. Postmedia Network Inc. | 365 Bloor Street East, Toronto, Ontario, M4W 3L4 | 416-383-2300
With an 8-1 record, he’s headlining the Muay Thai World Cup 6 card — an MTWC promotion — Saturday at Genesis Centre.
“Muay Thai World Cup returns this weekend,” said Kieran Keddle, CEO of Muay Thai World Cup. “The nine-fight scheduled event will feature some of Canada’s finest combatants.
“Our main event features local Calgarian Jake Peacock, who will be defending his WBC Canadian title against ranked number-one contender Richard Pham from Toronto.”
Peacock, who was born without an arm, boasts an 8-1 record, with all of his victories being won by stoppage.
The event, featuring five WBC Canadian titles on the line, begins at 3:45 p.m. The doors open at 2 p.m.
MTWC is now the leading Muay Thai promotion in North America and having just secured a deal with ONE championship which we will see in 2023 ,will give the chance for a Canadian Muay Thai athlete an opportunity to win a $100,000 contract with the organization.
“We are thrilled to have more events planned and to bring some of the world’s greatest fighters to this beautiful city.”
Tickets are available at the door or online.
— Postmedia news services
MUAY THAI WORLD CUP 6
• Dylan Stone (Elite MA) vs Hassan Hikmatov (WTM) — 132 lb.
• Juan Pablo Salazar (Elite MA) vs Daniel Zhou (West Side Gym) — 150 lb.
• Jason Davis (WTM) vs Mark Mosure (One Martial Arts) — 165 lb.
• Abdoul Wafar (Elite MA) vs Austin Henry-Maiale (Foundry Combat Sports) — 147 lb.
• Deval Garvey (Dunamis) vs Andrew Lewis (World Class Muay Thai) — 155 lb.
• Tim Lo (Arashi-Do) vs Markhaile Wedderburn (Ruff House) — 185-lb. WBC Canadian cruiserweight title
• Cody Jerome (PFA) champion vs Tylor Seib (Diaz Combat Sports) — 154-lb. WBC Canadian super welterweight title defence
• Morgane Pouliot (Apex Gym) vs Stephanie Quigg (Smandych) — 122 lb.
• Jake Peacock (Dunamis) champion vs Richard Pham (Kombat Arts) — 147-lb. WBC Canadian welterweight title defence