RCMP make arrest, cancel emergency alert after car carrying alleged shooters found – CBC.ca

New Brunswick·Updated

RCMP say greater Fredericton area residents can return to normal activities after two people were shot in a mini-home park on Friday morning.

Honda Civic driven by armed individuals has been found, say police investigating shooting of 2 people

hadeel ibrahim

Hadeel Ibrahim · CBC News

·

A police cruiser parked sideways on the road, mini home in the background

A Fredericton Police Force vehicle on scene at the Fredericton-area mini-home park Friday mornning. (Shane Fowler/CBC)

RCMP say greater Fredericton area residents can return to normal activities after two people were shot in a mini-home park on Friday morning.

Police said they have arrested a 22-year-old man outside the city and called off an emergency alert that warned of armed and dangerous individuals.

The two shooting victims were in stable condition, and their injuries are not life-threatening, police said. 

The incident began at 4:30 a.m.when police were dispatched to Leafwood Drive in the Pine Grove Mini-Home Community after reports of a shooting.

Fredericton police and RCMP asked the public to avoid the Hanwell Road area near Kingswood golf course, and officers evacuated nearby homes.

Fled the scene

Later,at 10:50 a.m., RCMP issued the emergency alert warning of armed individuals.

The people police believed responsible for shooting had fled the scene, RCMP said, and were later spotted in a blue 2012 Honda Civic southeast of Fredericton.

At 12:30 p.m., RCMP sent another alert saying “the vehicle involved in the RCMP operation in the greater Fredericton area has been located,” and “residents may return to normal activities.”

They said the car was found at Longs Creek, about 32 kilometres southwest of Fredericton.

The RCMP Alert was related to this morning’s incident and the file is now being managed by the RCMP.

@CityFredPolice

RCMP said they’ve taken over the case from the Fredericton Police Force.

Ecole Saint Anne, which falls under Francophone Sud school district in Fredericton, was under a hold-and-secure because of the alert. This means no one could enter or leave the building, but regular school activities were still happening inside.

All Anglophone West schools had professional development days Friday, so no students were in school said spokesperson Jennifer Read.

‘Very specific’ case

Earlier in the day, at around 9 a.m., Fredericton police Chief Martin Gaudet said the incident was “not an active shooter situation,” and the shooting was “very specific.”

He also said one person had been arrested and another was barricaded. It isn’t clear what happened to these people or how they’re connected to the case or the person arrested later.

Police spokesperson Sonya Gilks said the victims and alleged shooters are known to each other, and police don’t believe the shooting was random. 

People can go back to homes

After evacuating some home and asking some people to shelter in place, police started removing barriers at the mini-home park at around 10 a.m.

“Police remain in Hanwell to maintain continuity of the crime scene” Fredericton police said. 

Gaudet said RCMP are  involved in the response because parts of the investigation include areas outside of Fredericton city limits, in Hanwell.

ABOUT THE AUTHOR

hadeel ibrahim

Hadeel Ibrahim is a reporter with CBC New Brunswick based in Saint John. She reports in English and Arabic. Email: hadeel.ibrahim@cbc.ca.